This recipe uses my Basic dairy and egg free sponge.
I usually make these little lemon cakes in Mini loaf cases from Sainsbury’s. You can also make it in a standard loaf tin. If I’m baking a large loaf I prefer to use a silicone loaf mould as it’s easy to get the cake out.
1. Make as per my Basic dairy and egg free sponge.
2. At step 3, add poppyseeds to the bowl, and mix with the flour.
3. At step 4, add lemon essence.
4. While the cake is baking, mix some granulated sugar and lemon juice in a bowl.
5. When the cake is baked, remove from the oven. While still in the loaf tin/mould, drizzle the lemon juice and sugar mix all over the top of your cake. If making mini loaves, drizzle the mixture over, ensuring it completely covers to top of each cake. As the mixture cools it will crystallise into a yummy citrusy topping.
If you fancy, you could swap the lemon essence and juice for orange. It works equally as well.